Call Us:

(780) 289-5416

E-Mail Us:

Call Us:

(780) 289-5416

E-Mail Us:


“Some Things to Remember When Installing an Underground Service”

Extending electrical service to a detached garage or other outbuilding isn’t much different than adding a circuit inside the house, with one important exception—running underground cable. It involves work at the main circuit breaker panel to install and connect one or more new circuit breakers. Many people choose to have this kind of work done by a professional, and with good reason—work at the main service panel has the potential for very serious or fatal shock if you don’t know what you are doing. Here I outline some of the guidelines and requirements when running an underground service.

  • Meter base shall be a MIN on 300mm high, 190mm wide, and 100mm deep.
  • Meter C/Line 1.5-1.8m above grade.
  • Meter and PVC conduit to be attached to a pressure treated 2”x10” piece of lumber or building wall.
  • A bolt through mast clamp must be used.
  • A sleeve is required over conduit 150mm above and below grade.
  • Service cable to be minimum 1m, maximum 1.3m in depth.
  • Installation must be inspected prior to completing the back filling, (install cable, sand and fill up to marker tape then call for inspection). If multiple inspections are required there will be additional charges.
  • Cable must always be protected from mechanical damage.

Always consult a trusted and ticketed electrician when running underground services of any type.

“Some Things to Remember When Installing an Aerial Service”

When your installing a new aerial service to your home or a building there are some key points to remember.

  • The service attachment MUST be on the pole side of the building.
  • Clevis above the roof line must be attached at the following measurements for the corresponding pipe size.
  1. 450 mm for 35mm (1-1/4”) rigid steel conduit mast.
  2. 600 mm for 41 mm (1-1/2”) rigid steel conduit mast.
  3. 900 mm for 53 mm (2”) rigid steel conduit mast.
  • Bolt through mast clamps must be a min. 150 mm apart, bolted though a min. 50mm of material.
  • Center of meter must be a min. of 1500 mm and a max. of 1800 mm above grade.

“When to get a permit”

This Weeks Blog comes from yet another question!

Q – At what point does a home owner need to a) get a permit for electrical, and b) get a electrician to approve or supervise/assist in electrical changes or additions in and around the home.

Also if a permit is required,  does jay-b just pull one and include it in the invoice to the customer.

A – All new electrical installations require a permit, such as:

  • New construction.
  • Renovations/alterations.
  • Basement developments.
  • Hot tub installations.
  • Garage wiring.
  • Service upgrade.
  • Any other additions to an electrical system, including adding new circuits/wiring for receptacles and/or lighting, repair/replacement of aluminum wiring and garden shed wiring.

In the city on Edmonton home owners are not required to have an electrician supervise/assist in electrical changes.  However all installations must meet all codes , acts, and regulations or the install will fail inspection.

A Homeowner can apply for an Electrical Permit for their own home if they meet the following conditions:

  • The homeowner must own and live in a single family dwelling and can only obtain permits for renovations.
  • Apartment style condominiums, stacked, semi-detached and row housing dwelling units do not qualify; Electrical Homeowner Permits will not be issued for these types of units.
  • Homeowners must live in the dwelling unit and provide proof of ownership to qualify for a permit; permits will not be issued for rental properties.
  • The homeowner must be doing the work themselves.
  • Permits will not be issued if wiring is concealed (walls boarded or dry-walled).
  • Prior to an electrical permit being issued for a basement development, a building permit will be required.

With all that being said, electricity can be very dangerous.  At JAY-B Electric Ltd we want to preserve life and property and in saying that we strongly recommend that home owners get a licenced electrician to pull the permit and perform the work. 

JAY-B Electric Ltd. has a master electrician on staff and can pull permits for all or new projects and the cost will be included int the invoice.


“This Old House”

This Weeks Blog comes from a question!

Q – My house I live in now is from the 1970’s. Every now and then I get some weird power issues, dimming lights, breakers that (half) blow, and fixtures and sockets that just stop working even though all the wires in it look like they are fine. What services of yours would you recommend and why? What do you think the causes COULD be and how are they usually addressed?

A – As with most homes built around this time, often circuits were over loaded.  This means more outlets were put on a single 15 amp breaker then what is recommended today.  Due to this set up, when we use more then one appliance at a time it will cause breakers to trip or “half blow”.  These appliances could be a microwave and a coffee pot, for example.  This overloading could also cause your lights to dim, among other things including a loose neutral or supply.  My recommendation would be to have an electrician check all the connections, replace the switches and receptacles, add copper pigtails if the home was wired in aluminum, upgrade the panel,  and rewire the kitchen to recent code.


Remember to follow us and check out our regular blogs and comments on Facebook and Instagram!

Do you have a question? Leave a message below and we will use it in a blog!

Summary of services and mission statement.

Contact Us

Morinville, AB
T8R 0B5, Canada

(780) 2895416